Friday 11 October 2013

Bringing Traditions into Marriage: (My bitter leaf soup)

1+1 = 1 only in Marriage:

I was counseling with an agrieved wife. One of the problems she was having with her husband is that he wanted her to be cooking Yoruba tribe meals in the house and meanwhile she is of the Ibo tribe origin. And that in 'her place', the man eats what the woman cooks, period. She cannot stand Yoruba meals and it was  causing very
intense disagreement. Fortunately my marriage was of same tribal mix of Ibo and Yoruba. So I shared my 'bitter leaf soup' experience with her. Just like I wrote in an earlier write up, marriage involves sacrifice from both parties and most times one person makes more sacrifices than the other or it could be equal sacrifice.
Bitter leaf was and still is my favorite soup. But my husband could not stand it because his first taste of the soup was horrible and he felt that all bitter leaf soups tasted the same way. So we reached a compromise and we made okro soup and Egusi soup the Ibo way, which he did not mind at all. I must thank God for my sisters. They are marvelous people and I appreciate them as we celebrate our 15 years of marriage anniversary. When My sister aunty uche heard that he does not like bitter leaf soup; especially the reason he did not like it (bitterness), she giggled. It was very funny to her. Then she would always invite me over to her house each time she makes bitter leaf soup, announcing that she had made my favorite soup. My office was very close to her house so I would walk down at lunch to have my cherished bitter leaf soup. This happened for several years after our marriage. I also want to thank God for Pastor Vera who lived next compound to mine early in marriage and without a word to her, would from time to time bring me bitter leaf soup. Very delicious. Then without a word to my Landlady, she started sending heaven made bitter leaf soup (filled with ''obstacles'') to my house - sister Chidi; we are 15years. Thank you for all your inputs. All were positive inputs. You are a friend indeed. Came a certain day, we visited my eldest sister and my husband ate bitterleaf soup in her house because he would not pick and choose food. He ate it out of respect. He now discovered that he just ate the badly cooked one the first time he tasted it. To cut this short, bitter leaf soup is now one of his favorite meals. We won that trial triumphantly plus I experienced the provision of God as it relates to the most minute sacrifice.. I must not forget my good friend - Ebere Nwachukwu, who invites us all the way to her house to come have a feast of bitterleaf soup. Today, my husband sometimes reminds me to make bitter leaf soup. The Lady I was counseling with was very quiet after she heard my experience. Let us not bring the way it is done ''in my place'' into marriage. work out a compromise; except of course if that ''way'' is God's way.See more

No comments: